The Department of Mining Engineering was established in 1926 with the founding of the School in that year by the Viceroy of India, Lord Irwin. Over the Past 84 years, it has developed and grown to become the largest Department of its kind in the country with excellent facilities for teaching and research and widespread activities in both coal and non-coal/metalliferous mining sectors. Its high reputation attracts students from all parts of India as well as from abroad.
The Department has been recognized as a QIP Centre for the faculty members of other Mining Engineering Departments of the country to pursue higher studies. The Department has been accorded the status of “Centre of Advanced Studies” in Mining Engineering by the University Grant Commission, in recognition of its high standards of teaching, research and services to the mining industry.
The students passing out from this Department have traditionally occupied top positions in the government departments as well as in the mining industry, both in India and abroad. The posts of Director-General of Mines Safety; Chairmen and Managing Directors of most of the mining companies and top executives of many other companies, both in the public and private sectors, have been traditionally occupied by the ex-students of the Department. Over 400 ex-students of Indian School of Mines (ISM) are working in the USA and other countries, in high positions.
Prof. V M S R Murty
Head of the Department
Phone: 0326-2235279 (O) | 2296628 (O)
Fax : 2296563